Sunday, October 19, 2008

Ana's Shower






I am very behind in blogging, so today is marathon blog day! Yesterday was Ana Schooley's baby shower. I am the family party planner; a job I take very seriously! I get stressed over these things because I am a perfectionist, but I do love to party plan. I love the cooking and the game planning, as well as the crafts I end up making because nothing out there seems to match my vision of how I want things to look. The menu was beef noodle soup, Mexican corn and chicken chowder, mini quiches, bread sticks, layered salad (delicious concoction that my sister-in-law Deeann provided), mini cheesecakes, and a "dream" cake. Julie made a really delicious punch. That recipe is a keeper! Ana's theme was Baby Looney Tunes and it was quite the challenge finding things. Thank goodness for the internet! I made a diaper cake as the center piece with a giant Lola for the topper. She provided great company for my drive over to Julie's house, since she rode in the front seat of my packed car. She was leaning on my shoulder at one point while I was driving! I need a catering truck! The matching game was a highlight because it was fun to see Savannah and Joann participating as well. We all laughed at the candy bar prizes that went with the match. For example if you matched the word contractions, you got "whoppers" as a prize.
These things are always a production (and I love the craziness) but, I couldn't pull it off without the behind the scenes help. My family are always guinea pigs for my recipes. Larry helped make favors, made the title for my game board, and packed my car. Everyone pitches in to make it a successful event. I married into a wonderful family and I feel so fortunate. I love hangingout with them all and that may be the thing I look forward to the most when I plan these events. It is just an excuse to get together, laugh, eat (a lot), and catch up. I am sad when it is all over, not just because I have to leave everyone, but because I always leave my kitchen in a state of disaster and have to come home and deal with that. I had the most wonderful surprise when I came home. Larry had cleaned up my whole terrible mess ( frosting globs and all) AND he had put away all of the laundry. Like the punch recipe, that man is a keeper! So is the whole Garahana family! Love you all tons!!!

2 comments:

Debbie said...

You are so talented Stephanie. And so energetic! Everything looks yummy and fun!

Lia said...

Wow, I'm so impressed. Everything looks so cute. I showed Kowhai the cake and cupcakes. She started drooling. Yum!!